To turn off gas to the water heater follow these steps to make sure you do it safely.
- Move any items away from the water heater so you can access the gas pipe and valve.
- Locate the gas pipe that feeds gas into the water heater. Find the valve handle and turn it a ¼" turn until it stops. When it is turned off the handle will be cross ways from the path of the pipe.
- Check to make sure that the water heater has turned off.
Water Heater Safety Tips
- Keep the area around the water heater clear. Many people use water heater cossets and the top of the water heater for storage but these areas should be kept clear. The water heater needs proper ventilation to prevent a fire hazard.
- Never store combustibles on or near the water heater.