By far of the most common plumbing problems I encounter are drain stoppages. Often the houses that I service have no preventive measures in place to avoid clogs. One of my favorite prevention tools is a simple drain strainer that I buy at the local 99˘ store.
Many drain baskets just slow down the drain so much that it almost seems stopped up. Some have openings so large that they don't catch much at all. The ones I prefer are made of fine wire mesh. The best part is that they are also some of the least expensive ones I've come across. This is a great example of spending a little to save a lot.
Reasons to use wire drain strainers:
- Tub and shower strainers catch hair before it goes down the drain reducing the likelihood of a stoppage
- Bathroom sink strainers can catch hair and debris that can go down the drain to collect in the pipes
- Kitchen sink strainers can catch food which can quickly stop up drains (even with a garbage disposer)
- They can be easily removed for regular cleaning
- Are easy and inexpensive to replace