A re-pipe is an overhaul of the water lines for an entire house. The old pipes are not typically removed, they are just bypassed. Usually copper, pex, or cpvc is used to replace the old galvanized iron pipes.
When is a re-pipe the right choice?
- If you are getting poor water pressure and this is something you aren't willing to put up with.
- When leaks are starting to occur in the existing piping and the repair costs are becoming more frequent and expensive.
- You are going to be at your house for a long time, you know you have old galvanized piping, and you want to stay ahead of game.
What to expect?This can and will be an expensive endeavor and should not be undertaken lightly. Be sure to get at least three quotes from professionals before making the decision. Ask plenty of questions.
What kind of material is recommended and why?
- What is the cost for the different types of piping: copper, pex , or cpvc?
- What is the timeframe for the job?
- Will the price include patching of walls? If so, can that be removed from the total price if you do it yourself?